Reptiles are exotic and beautiful animals, some people think having reptiles as pet can be cool or weird, yes, unlike dogs, reptiles have less fans. There are several benefits of a having a reptile as a pet, if this is what you’ve been looking for, then you have come to the right place. However, most people consider purchasing a reptile because their child have been asking for this, although reptiles can be considered as low maintenance pets, please keep in mind that in the end, you’ll be responsible for their daily care, not your children. These animals can be pretty captivating, but just like other pets, they need to be fed, trained, and supervised. Reptile care information
You can teach your children to take care their reptile pet, since reptiles are low maintenance pet, more and more parents are interested to buy a reptile as their children first pet.
These are several advantages of having a reptile as a pet:
- Long lifespan – Reptiles usually live from 5-20 years, depending on the breed. Turtles in fact have average lifespan of 50 years. So if you provide proper care, your reptile pet will long and healthy life compared to mammalian pets of similar size.
- Ability to adapt – Reptiles are cold-blooded animals, they can adapt to different kind of habitats and lifestyles, you’ll be amazed with this ability, from below sea level, desert or high in mountains.
- Training – This is the fact that most people don’t know about. Not only dogs or cats can be trained, you can train reptiles too! These exotic animals can recognize smell, voice and people.
- Low Responsibility – If you have dogs, you need to walk them on regular basis, with reptiles, you don’t have to. Most dogs can have behavior issues, you won’t have to deal with these issues if you own a reptile.
- Low Cost – Reptiles won’t cost you as much as mammal pets, but we hate that reptiles being cheap, most people tend to think that they are disposable.
- Easy Cleaning – Well reptiles are usually contained in a special tank, they are not supposed to run loose in your house, therefore, you will have less mess compared if you have a dog or a cat.
Sounds pretty interesting so far? As reptile owner, you also need to learn about its behaviors (different breeds have different behaviors), environment, proper habitat (some exotic reptiles have to be in a place with particular humidity level) and reproductive strategies. That’s crucial knowledge to keep your reptiles pet healthy and happy.